Our little one has always been a pretty good eater so far. He happily eats most of the things that I like, but also loves rancid, manky things, like cucumbers, tomatoes and bananas! My mum always tells me that I wasn’t a fussy eater until I was much older and would happily devour anything healthy that was put down in front of me, so for now we’re just grateful that he enjoys some things that are actually good for him whilst it lasts!

20160926_191832

The only things he appears to despise so far are chips and salad leaves. With the salad leaves his aversion is so great that he will pick each tiny piece of leaf from his plate before he will eat whatever else is on there! But given everything else he gobbles down we don’t mind compromising on salad leaves even if their painstaking removal is a touch frustrating! He seems quite happy giving us salad leaves though!!

20160924_121810

So, you may think, our little one sounds like a perfect little eater. And generally you’d be right. Apart from the SNACKS!!! My word, the SNACKS!!

As soon as he comes downstairs in the morning he’s asking for breakfast. Two Weetabix later he’s still hungry. As I bring in my bowl of very adult and manly, not at all childish Coco Rocks, he’s at me like a starving sparrow.

‘Joshy eat Daddy ball balls’

So he’s there eating one ball at a time as I’m necking the rest like it’s going out of fashion, making sure he doesn’t get his hands on my chocolate-filled rocks. No one touches my chocolate-filled rocks. Grown-up breakfast cereal complete, he’s then asking for a ‘nana’ or ‘banananana’, whichever he chooses to call it that day.

The banana lasts all of 5 seconds. I don’t know if he swallows it whole or whether he is the human equivalent of a chipmunk, but one blink and it’s gone.

‘Daddy, nana in Joshy tummy’

Yes son, yes it is.

‘Joshy have it one more nana’

No chance.

‘Peas Daddy. Joshy need one more nana’

No one NEEDS two bananas. In fact the only banana he doesn’t try to rapidly digest is this one!

20160723_180910

He then asks for a fruit pouch. Or an oat bar. Or cheese. Or a biscuit. Ad infinitum until I either crack under the pressure and give him something or he gets distracted by something more pressing. Like Blaze. Or Ryder. If we get to 10am without him having exploded through excessive food consumption or had a snack-denial-related tantrum it’s been a good morning!

So where does this constant requirement for snacks come from? Maybe it’s a year long growth spurt? Perhaps he is about to morph into a giant? Maybe he sees me constantly creeping to the fridge to eat junk and wants to get in on the action? Maybe he likes the ambience of the kitchen environment?

Or perhaps he’s just a greedy little bugger and is trying to build a physique like his dad! It certainly feels like a world away from when our culinary options revolved almost entirely around choosing the best baby formula to go with his starter porridge!!

This post is in partnership with Nakturnal.

Let’s Talk About Snacks, Baby!
Spread the love

29 thoughts on “Let’s Talk About Snacks, Baby!

• 14th October 2016 at 8:00 am

Haha, my two are like this! Constantly eating. When the school holidays come round our food bill triples! Then when we go out anywhere we obviously have to stop for cake because they are so HANGRY! I have now come to the conclusion that my two have worms! Thanks for linking up #FridayFrolics

• 15th October 2016 at 2:06 am

I’m sure if I ate as much as he does I’d have to be rolled from place to place!!

• 14th October 2016 at 4:22 pm

I’m with you on this one. My Little Man is a good eater (touching all the wood I can) and has decent-sized meals but is still HUNGRY FOR SNACKS all the time!

And yes, after finishing his bowl of porridge and Rice Krispies, he attacks my cereal – what he has officially named ‘Mummy Brekkie’!!!

Growth spurt/ worms in the tummy/ future body-builders – let’s see!
    #FridayFrolics

• 15th October 2016 at 2:04 am

Out of those 3 options I’m hoping for growth spurt ??

• 15th October 2016 at 9:57 am

Mine are the same. My youngest LP calls them nack, nacks and literally is like a begging dog. He eats all day long. Then when my oldest BB comes out of school, it’s non stop eating, until dinner. If LP sees BB eating then he wants to eat too. Drives me nuts, I run out of ideas! #fortheloveofBLOG

• 16th October 2016 at 12:38 pm

At least bananas are fairly healthy I guess! And it seems that all toddlers are equally demanding!!

• 15th October 2016 at 5:05 pm

Yup, my eldest is like this, I’m pretty sure it’s a boy thing haha. My niece eats like a bird! Yup, got to be a boy thing! #fortheloveofblog

• 16th October 2016 at 12:39 pm

So far our one loves cars, planes, digging and snacks!! Stereotypical boy so far!!

• 16th October 2016 at 12:40 pm

Everyone has that monkey!! No idea where the stick from his arse has gone though!!

• 16th October 2016 at 10:27 am

Our youngest eats snacks constantly! Currently she still eats here meals too so I figure she is just growing since she is under 2. Our eldest did this but eventually replaced her meals with snacks…. then I banned the snacks until she ate her actual food! We’re back on track now but it does seem like a never ending stream of food.
    #KCACOLS

• 16th October 2016 at 12:42 pm

Snacks in place of food isn’t ideal!! Fortunately he eats his meals and snacks at the moment!! And my meals. And my snacks ??

• 16th October 2016 at 1:12 pm

I’m glad it’s not just my daughter. She literally never. stops. eating. Most of little friends have a snack then play. She will eat, play for 10 mins then go and start banging on the kitchen door shouting “Nack. Nack.”. Then she’ll eat my food too. This is why being a parent is expensive!!!! #KCACOLS
    Angela Watling recently posted…Ditching the dummyMy Profile

• 16th October 2016 at 1:20 pm

My eldest is the same, she always wants what I am eating and says ‘more’ after each bite!

#KCACOLS

• 16th October 2016 at 10:14 pm

Wow – I wish my children were like this – sometimes they are but it is more of a rarity – and they’re all a bit ‘off’ food at the moment which I find incredibly stressful…. #fortheloveofBLOG

• 17th October 2016 at 6:41 pm

A haha maybe a bit of all of those things? Kids and snacks huh. If I gave my daughter a plate of food when she was smaller and told her it wasn’t tea it was snacks she’d always eat much better! #KCACOLS

• 17th October 2016 at 8:17 pm

I’m do glad this doesn’t only happen to me! Mine want constant snacks too! It’s worrying. They will also eat every salad item around but not the actual salad leaves! Youngest used to eat them, but even she won’t now! I eat very adult coco pops for breakfast as well. I also have toddlers who have already had their breakfast snatching at handfuls!

Thanks so much for joining us on #FridayFrolics. Hope to see you next time.

• 17th October 2016 at 8:30 pm

Wow that’s a disturbing number of similarities ?? Thanks for hosting!!

• 19th October 2016 at 8:22 am

Wow, I wish my son were like this. Eating for us is a game of bribery involving television and the promise of jelly if he eats his pie. My son has a particular aversion to bananas. Pen #KCACOLS

• 19th October 2016 at 6:23 pm

A nice balance somewhere between the two would be good!! Thanks for reading and commenting!

• 20th October 2016 at 7:57 am

Luckily my son is too young for snacking, I’m sure he will be a nightmare for it once he’s finger if he’s anything like his dad! #KCACOLS

• 21st October 2016 at 10:20 pm

I think that my daughter could eat snacks all day, she loves a fruit pouch and an oat cake. She has two snacks at nursery every day, which are healthy snacks, but I wonder if this is where her snacking come from. Thanks so much for linking up at #fortheloveofBLOG. Claire x

• 22nd October 2016 at 6:47 pm

My step son was a picky toddler but at 6 he will eat anything. My son would anything as a baby and now won’t eat anything green. Polar opposites. I hope your little one keeps eating great! #KCACOLS

Comments are closed.